We should allow jabber clients to make video/audio calls to users on other protocols such as MSN messenger or Yahoo messenger. This is done by adding support for Jingle over Jabber transports. It is entirely possible that Jingle compatible clients need no new work to "just work", and that converters only need to be added on the server side now to support it.
- Any IM chat client which supports Jabber+jingle+jingle via transports(may not be needed), can support AV over ANY chat protocol without extra code (even new ones that don't exist at the time of programming).
- Much less code. Currently, we have to add code to EVERY client, for every different IM protocol included. With this idea, clients would only need to support the jingle JEP over Transports. This means they can spend more time working on adding features!
- Users logging into only one jabber account, will automatically be able to access all their other IM accounts on other networks.
- Obsoletes multi-IM protocol clients. Since Jabber clients could support AV over any protocol, we don't need to code for them specifically client side. Thats all handled server-side/transport server-side
- Jabber is a totally open protocol, which anyone can set up a server for. People automatically get an account with jabber, whilst maintaining support for other protocols.
- Greater CPU load on server. However, maybe not a problem, as in some cases, may simply cost a bit more to translate the AV stream, and that could be done by separate transport servers from the server. And we know CPU's with hundreds of cores will be here within 2 years anyway, so servers will be ready in time.