Written by FiberOptix the 16 Mar 09 at 23:50.
The current advice for users wanting to implement full disk encryption post-install is:
1) Backup almost everything
2) Use the alternate installer
3) Update base system and kernel
4) Copy select files (like /boot, /etc/crypttab, etc.),
5) Overwrite new files with the old ones
6) Restore the select files from (4)
This process is a pain and potentially catastrophic in several places. An automated tool to perform this task properly would be very helpful for many users who installed from the livecd and decide they want to use full disk encryption later on.