It would be good if we could extend the behavior of network-manager ourselves to add support for new encryption types or networking methods which can be triggered by different states of the connection. Some possible plugins may include:
- New VPN connection types. Some of us may have weird VPN connection protocols that we normally need to run other apps for. This would allow users to add support for network-manager instead, without waiting for the next version.
- Wireless cracking plugin. Whilst its illegal, people could code plugin's which automatically tries to break into other connections when no connection is detected, to help optimise uptime. Great for road warriors :D
- Act on new connections easily. You could have extensions which automatically submit a GPS trace/webcam photo on connection for instance. Whilst your inbox would fill very quickly, at least if your laptop got stolen, you could very easily track it down
- Perform actions based on network type. On connection, you could have a plugin for instance that warns of connections which are known to be insecure (ie, you can see packets going to other networks).
- If WPA3 comes out, users could add support themselves to the network-manager, instead of having to edit config files, and run the apps themselves.
All within one tool, and it really eliminates the need for terminal or extra frontend config/connect tools for different connection types