Written by ilembitov the 5 Jul 08 at 23:29.
Category: Look and Feel.
Status: Not an idea
1. Support Google Desktop Gadgets and Apple widgets (probably, Vista widgets, too)
2. Make a repository of applets with easy access to it (outside of Synaptics, although all changes should also be undoable from Synaptics)
3. Support embedding a web-site in an applet (like Mozilla Prism or Adobe AIR)
4. Promote writing custom applets for GNOME - through the separate repository I've mentioned, and tutorials (Python will do)
Is there a reason to say "gnome" here? If we look at the issues you raise:
1) Done with Plasma
2) Done with kde-look.org and GetHotNewStuff
3) Done with Plasma
4) Done (a bit) with TechBase (mainly C++ based though :( )
New users don't care if something is Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment or what, so there seems little point reimplementing this (especially since there is already so much duplication already with Dashboard, Google, Yahoo, Vista, Karamba, etc.). Plasma can be used inside Gnome too remember, so I would say that apart from the Gnome part, which I don't think is important, this should be marked as done.